It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deathless
by Catherynne M. Valente
The Return of Sherlock Holmes [Canon #6] by A.C. Doyle

Could not finish "The killing of worlds", the author is a fanatic of detailing every little thing that is happening and it was very annoying.
morolf: Thucydides, The war of the Peloponnesians and the Athenians, in the translation by Jeremy Mynott (Cambridge texts in the history of political thought).
Fascinating work, which I can only recommend to anybody interested in ancient history or politics. The edition I'm reading is pretty nice as well, lots of helpful maps.
Great work. Depicts civil war in a timeless way. That war was like no other war in the Greek world before.
PetrusOctavianus: Don Quijote

It's 400 years old, so the hipsters gush on it.
Faulkner read that every year, "like other people reads the Bible", in his own words. Maybe he was a hipster.
Post edited April 10, 2021 by Carradice
Sinuhe the Egyptian by Mika Waltari
Red Mandarin Dress by Qiu Xiaolong.
The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, James Hogg
Death On The Nile by Agatha Christie
The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
by Robert C. Martin
PetrusOctavianus: Don Quijote

It's 400 years old, so the hipsters gush on it.
Carradice: Faulkner read that every year, "like other people reads the Bible", in his own words. Maybe he was a hipster.
Or maybe he was passive aggressive.
I’ve read a book called "Little Women" by Louise May Alcott. The novel is about four sisters, their life, friendship, growing up. In short, for me it’s a one-time book. Of course, today the book will seem very boring for modern young girls. There is not even a storyline here. Description of their boring measured life, their worries, children's desires. Although it would be useful for them to read, because children's selfishness is still relevant today. This book is also suitable for a more adult female audience, there is something to think about child-rearing. The story is not modern at all, and the book is not very exciting, but I do not regret having read it. A recommendation only for lovers of women's classics.
I just started reading The Long Ships, by Frans Bengtsson. You follow a Viking on his adventures around Europe. Right now he just left Andalusia and he's planning to head home with his surviving mates.

It's really well written. If you're looking for a classic, you should put this book in your list.

Book of the Marvels of the World
- Marco Polo
Die Juedin von Toledo and Wartesaal Trilogie Bd. 1 - Drei Jahre Geschichte einer Provinz by Lion Feuchtwanger.
Post edited April 19, 2021 by Mori_Yuki
Anvar the barbarian: I just started reading The Long Ships, by Frans Bengtsson. You follow a Viking on his adventures around Europe. Right now he just left Andalusia and he's planning to head home with his surviving mates.

It's really well written. If you're looking for a classic, you should put this book in your list.
I didn't know it was referred to as The Long Ships. In Swedish the more common title I think is Röde Orm (Red Snake / Serpent). I've listened to the audiobook. It is really good. :)
Post edited April 21, 2021 by Nirth
I like detectives. My favorite book is Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. The story is described so realistically that it seems to you that you are also now in Australia and watching the events. Every story of the main characters touches the soul and you are sincerely worried about them. It is an engaging story filled with murder and mystery. The idea is very interesting. On the first page you will find out that the murder happened. But throughout the story, you have no idea who is the victim. At the same time, the genre cannot be called a detective story. A fascinating book about relationships.